Walmart China is committed to being a good corporate citizen and has organized CSR efforts in the following categories: Women Economic Empowerment; Giving back to communities; Nutrition, Health & Wellness; Sustainability & Environmental Protection; Education Initiative; and Disaster Relief. We have donated funds and in-kind support worth over RMB72 million to local charities and welfare organizations since entering the China market. Moreover, Walmart China associates have dedicated more than 210, 000 hours to these activities.
Some of our recent CSR events are as below:
- On May 9th 2013, the food testing Mobile Lab that moves among stores in a city was officially launched. Walmart China also announced that the company would invest RMB 100 million to strengthen food safety management in China in the next 3 years.
- In early May, 2013, in the aftermath of the earthquake in Sichuan Ya’an, local farmers from disaster areas had difficulties to sell gingers. Walmart took quick action to help earthquake disaster area farmers selling unmarketable gingers in 14 stores in Chengdu and Dujiangyan. Walmart Sichuan purchased 5 tons of gingers in total.
- In April 2013, Walmart China donated cash and in-kind supplies worth RMB 2,000,000 to the earthquake stricken areas in Ya’an in Sichuan Province through China Foundation for Poverty alleviation.
- Around the International Day for Protecting Consumers’ Rights, which is March 15, 2012, in order to improve the service level of Walmart stores in China, introduce one of our core values of “Smiling Within 3 Meters, Serving Our Customers”, Walmart launch an in store event themed “Voting for the Smiling Star” by customers and Afternoon Tea Event in over 390 Walmart stores in an effort to collect customers’ suggestions sincerely.
- During the Spring Festival of 2013, Walmart China launches “Searching 365 Touching Stories, Delivering Positive Energy in 2013” again on its corporate microblog (http://weibo.com/wmcsr), appeals to netizens to find and create more touching moments, discover more kind people in communities, and send help to needy people and deliver positive energy both online and offline . Nearly 300 activities were held nationwide, more than 1500 associates joined it and sent out over 3000 gift packages. Nearly 3,000 netizens took part in the campaign and voted for the “Top Ten Stories with Positive Energy in 2013.”
- At of the end of 2012, Walmart donated RMB200,000 to China Foundation for Poverty Alleviation in support of the construction of multi-media classrooms in primary schools in the earthquake-stricken region of Yiliang County, Yunnan Province.
- From July 28 to August 12 in 2012, Walmart joins hands with L’Oreal Paris again to support the “Love Charity Project of Wenchuan, Sichuan”. During this period, for every L’Oreal Paris skin care product, cosmetic product, hair product and hair dye product sold at Walmart, Walmart china and L’Oreal Paris will donate RMB0.1 to Wenchuan respectively to purchase sports equipments for the re-constructed primary schools. In the end, both Walmart and L’Oreal Paris donated RMB35,979. The fund will be presented to schools at Wenchuan through the China Foundation for Poverty Alleviation.
- On October 24, 2012, Walmart China and China Youth Development Fundation held a donation and launch ceremony for the “Walmart China’s Retail Talent Development Fund”, marking the program’s official launch. Walmart will donate RMB 3 million to the China Youth Development Fundation to be used in establishing the “Walmart China’s Retail Talent Development Fund”. This public welfare training fund will be used at BN Vocational Schools across the country to train retail talents, promote the Chinese edition of the retail training course material jointly developed by Walmart and International Youth Foundation’s (IYF) , and award excellent students at BN Vocational School with the “Walmart Retail Talent Scholarship.”
- On October 12, 2012, Walmart China and the China Women’s Development Foundation (CWDF) today signed a donation agreement at Dali Bai Autonomous Prefecture, Yunnan Province. According to the agreement, Walmart China will donate another 2 million yuan for the Revolving Fund for Mother’s New Ventures, a program initiated by CWDF to help poor Chinese women start businesses and become reemployed.
- In March 2012, Walmart China made a second donation in the amount of RMB 1 Million (app. US$ 15.87) to China Women’s Development Foundation (CWDF) to continue funding this project of “Revolving Fund on Poverty Alleviation for Mothers” led by CWDF.
- On December 30, 2011, Walmart China, in collaboration with Weibo.com of Sina, launched a charity event on Weibo.com themed “@Sunny Communities” ( Weibo address: http://weibo.com/wmcsr), in search of 365 touching and respectful figures in our neighborhood and to present them with new year’s gift packages. As of the end of February, 2012 it has received great attention. During this period, Walmart has launched nearly 300 micro charity activities in stores in over 140 cities nationwide and has sent over 3000 “warm” gift packages to good people and needy families living in neighborhood. In the future, “@Sending Warmth into Communities” will be upgraded into a micro charity platform of Walmart China, with which the company will get closer connection with grassroots and send warmth all around our communities.
- On July 5, 2011, One year after the earthquake hit Yushu in Qinghai Province, more than RMB760,000 donated by Walmart was used to build "Walmart Love Libraries" in nine schools in the hardest hit areas of Yushu, and equip the libraries with a total of 317 intensive book shelves, which can store 374,600 books, and 208 sets of reading tables and chairs.
- Since entering the spring, vegetable farmers in many area of China, including Henan, Shanxi, Guangdong, Zhejiang, and Liaoning, suffered from unmarketable vegetable. In answering the call of the Ministry of Commerce and local governments, Walmart signed a proposal in Beijing on helping farmers sell unmarketable vegetables through “Direct Farm” activity. The company has been purchasing vegetables and fruits from the suffered farmers and selling them at fair price in its store outlets across China, which help tide the farmers over a period of difficulty while ensuring that customers get safe and affordable produce. As of May 8, Walmart stores had already purchased unmarketable vegetables in the total amount of 480 Tons in over ten provinces and municipalities including Beijing, Hangzhou, Guangzhou and Xiamen, to echo local authorities’ call on purchasing unmarketable vegetables. Walmart also sold these vegetables at reasonable prices in all its stores across China.
- On April 1, 2011, Walmart China launched its nationwide sustainability campaign themed “2011 Walmart Earth Month”, in six Chinese cities, including Beijing, Shenzhen, Shanghai, Xi’an, Wuhan and Xiamen. With the theme “Go green with no plastic bags，the campaign was held in more than 210 Walmart supercenters across China, calling on people from different walks of life to reduce the use of plastic bags, and encourages the use of reusable bags in some pilot cities. We also turned off one third of the lighting in the stores during off-peak hours in continuous response to WWF’s Earth Hour program. The campaign helps our stores and neighboring communities save 500,000 kilowatt-hours of electricity. Around 8.2 million customers in over 110 cities, 100 thousand Walmart associates and their families were actively involved in this campaign.
- October 21, 2010, Walmart and the China Women’s Development Foundation signed an MOU that included a Walmart 1 million RMB as seed funding for the “Walmart Women’s Development Fund.” The fund will finance the “Revolving Fund on Poverty Alleviation Program for Mothers” led by the China Women’s Development Foundation. This project is now in full swing and has benefited about 1,300 villagers including 310 women, each of whom received RMB 3,065 as initial funding to start a variety of plantation and cultivation projects.
- On August 12, on behalf of all Walmart China employees, Walmart China and the trade union of the Walmart China Head Office announced the donation of RMB 150,000, via the China Foundation for Poverty Alleviation, to Zhouqu County, Gannan Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture in Gansu Province, which was hit by a massive flow of mud and rock. This donation assisted the victims in dealing with the disaster and helping themselves.
- Walmart donated over RMB 370,000 to the flooded area since June. Over 600 Walmart China associates have dedicated to these relief activities.
- In May 2008, Walmart pledged to donate over RMB 20 million to the Sichuan earthquake-stricken areas for buying items in short supply and community reconstruction. The projects included:
- Buying and delivering badly needed supplies to the earthquake-stricken areas immediately after the earthquake, by coordinating efforts with the Red Cross, the local government, relief organizations and civil affairs authorities.
- Donating RMB 5 million to the Sichuan Foundation for Poverty Alleviation for supporting programs to build countryside clinics in the earthquake-stricken area, and donating 20 ambulances worth more than RMB 2.5 million to the Health Department of Sichuan Province
- Committing RMB 6 million for the rebuilding of schools damaged in the earthquake through the “Sichuan Sustainable Schools project”. The project is managed by the China-US Center for Sustainable Development. On April 29, 2011, after two years of construction, Walmart announced the completion of the new Jindai Ecological Model Primary School, Liangping County in Chongqing.
- Donating about RMB 1.08 million to the international NGO Right to Play for the pilot program in Hanzhong and Ankang districts of Shaanxi Province to help orphaned and handicapped children.
- Donating RMB 700,000 to support the Big Top project through partnership with Half the Sky Foundation, creating a warm and positive environment for children in the earthquake-stricken area.
- In January, 2010, in response to the tragic earthquake in Haiti, Walmart operations around the world and the Walmart Foundation announced a $500,000 monetary donation to the Red Cross emergency relief efforts in Haiti. The company also sent pre-packaged food kits valued at $100,000 to Haiti. Walmart China also donated RMB 200,000 for disaster relief.
- In March 2010, Walmart in the U.S. announced an initial donation of $ 1million to the tragic earthquake in Chile. Walmart China and its union, and Walmart’s Global Sourcing team in China donated an additional RMB 400,000 in cash and in-kind support to Chile.
- In April, 2010, Walmart Foundation donated $150,000 to the international NGO, World Vision for Public Welfare Project for earthquake relief in Qinghai. Walmart China and its union, and the Walmart Global Sourcing team in China donated an additional RMB 525,000 in cash and in-kind support to Qinghai Yushu, which was devastated by a massive earthquake. In addition, Walmart China associates made an additional donation of RMB 401, 500. In this way, Walmart China and Walmart's global foundation are joining efforts to support Qinghai relief with a total donation worth RMB 1.95 million.
Walmart China's Sustainability and CSR Efforts are also widely recognized by society. Some of the most recent awards and honors are listed below:
- In April 2013, during the “The China Top 100 Green Companies” award election hosted by Daonong Center for Enterprise and Green Companies in China, which is designed to promote business sustainability, Walmart China prevails in five performance indices including Culture, Economy, Society, Environment and Innovation, and is therefore included in the list of “The 2013 China Top 100 Green Companies”. It is recommended by a panel of experts which comprises of the evaluation committee of the award.
- In the journal of Business Value published in March, Walmart China’s CSR project themed “Revolving Fund for Mother’s New Ventures” has been awarded as one of the “Top 10 Outstanding CSR Cases of Chinese Enterprises”.
- FORTUNE China hosted a CSR Ranking press conference. The ranking on 2013 China CSR TOP 100 Companies were released at the conference, among which Walmart China ranked 22 among TOP 25, raking No. 1 among all 4 multinational retailers, which are all listed among TOP 50 foreign enterprises.
- In the 2013 CBN “50 Top Innovative People” award ceremony, as well as the 5th Anniversary of China Business News Weekly, Ray Bracy, Senior Vice President, Walmart China, was awarded “CSR Innovator”.
- On December 21st, 2012, the annual CSR awarding event “Show Big Love through Micro CSR” organized by people.cn, supported by Peopleyuqing.com and China Spokesman Club was held in Beijing. The micro CSR event “Sunny Communities” initiated by Walmart China received “People’s Micro-Blog CSR” award.
- On December 7th, 2012, Walmart China received “2012 China Excellent CSR Corporate Award” by China Association of Enterprises with Foreign Investment, China Foundation of Consumer Protection, China Society of Private Economy Research and China Association of Environmental Journalists.
- On October 24th, 2012, the Economic Observer, one of the mainstream economic and business media, held the "2011-2012 Sustainability in China Summit & Awards Ceremony" in Beijing. “Walmart’s Women's Development Fund", a CSR program initiated by Walmart China, was awarded “Excellent Case for 2011-2012 Sustainability in China” by the Economic Observer.
- On September 19, Walmart China was named as one of “Top 100 Most Trustful Brand” and won “Awards for outstanding contribution in food safety and public health” by CBN and global food safety management expert Ecolab.
- On July 12, at the First China Charity Fair, the project themed “Walmart Charitable Counter for the Disabled” was honored with the “China Charitable Innovative Project silver award”.
- On July 2, on the project briefing for the “Charitable Meal” and the launch ceremony of 2012 “One Yuan Love” program by China Foundation for Poverty Alleviation (CFPA), Walmart China was awarded “2011 Charitable Company with a Caring Heart” by CFPA.
- On April 18, Walmart China Sam’s Club E-commerce（www.samsclub.cn）was recognized as “High Integrity Demonstration Enterprise in Ecommerce and information application areas” by China E-commerce Association (CECA).
- On March 20, at the press conference and the award ceremony for the 2012 CSR ranking of TOP 25 CSR Corporate Practitioner hosted by Fortune’s Chinese edition. Walmart China won the award of the “Top 25 CSR Corporate Practitioner”.
- In Feb. 2012, Walmart China was selected “Special Award for 2012 Responsible Company Under the Spotlight”: Meanwhile, “Walmart’s Women’s Development Fund” was awarded “2012 Outstanding CSR Project Under the Spotlight ” .
- Walmart China was awarded the “Outstanding CSR Company” at the session themed “2011 China CSR High Forum and the launch of Chinese Companies’ CSR Report”, hosted by xinhuanet.com.
- Walmart China was awarded The Year 2011 Best Employer by China HR, rank 20 in the Top50.
- Walmart China was awarded as the 2011 Special Award on Corporate Social Responsibility by China Association of Enterprises with Foreign Investment (CAEFI), China Foundation on Consumer Protection.
- On August 18, Walmart China was named as one of "the top 100 most trustful brands" in food safety and public health by CBN.
- On Oct 19, 2011 Walmart China was nominated “the Outstanding Employer – The Best Company to Work for” by Towers Watson and Fortune (Chinese). This is the fifth consecutive year for the release of the award list since 2003.
- Walmart Beijing Wangjing Store (1016#) was picked by China Chain Store & Franchise Association as one of the first companies for the 100 Model Low-carbon Stores award.
- Jinghua Commonweal Award - 2010 Best Corporate Social Responsibility Contribution Award of China by the Chinese Red Cross Foundation, Jinghua Commonweal Fund, and Beijing Times.
- Low-Carbon Innovation Company by China Youth Daily and the Economy Journal
- Best Retail Place to Work and Retail Innovation Award of 2010 by China Franchise & Chain Store Association
- The China Best Employer Enterprise by the International Human Resources Association
- China Green Gold Award by Sohu.com and A.T.Kearney
- The Leading Brand of Low-carbon by People.com.cn.
- 2010 Hurun CSR Top 50
- The Top Charity Brand that Influences Chinaat the Top Brands Contributors Awarding Ceremony. (General Assembly on China Brands and Communications 2010) hosted by China Media Culture Promotion Association (CMCPA)