Walmart China is committed to being a good corporate citizen and has organized CSR efforts in six categories: environmental protection, community involvement, women empowerment, health & wellness, educational support, and disaster relief. We have donated funds and in-kind support worth about RMB65 million to local charities and welfare organizations since entering the China market. Moreover, Walmart China associates have dedicated 200, 000 hours to these activities.
Some of our recent CSR events are as below:
- On December 30, 2011, Walmart China, in collaboration with Weibo.com of Sina, launched a charity event on Weibo.com themed “@Warming Up Our Communities” ( Weibo address: http://weibo.com/wmcsr), in search of 365 touching and respectful figures in our neighborhood. Walmart will present them with new year’s gift packages. Meanwhile, over 350 Walmart stores across the country will deliver thousands of “warm” gift packages to those needy people in the communities where Walmart has a presence.
- On August 23, Walmart China launched a charity ceremony themed “1+1+1>3” with three of is major suppliers: Johnson&Johnson, Mars and Nivea. From September 8 to October 7, at over 200 Walmart supercenters, when customers buy designated items from the above three suppliers, both Walmart China and the supplier will donate RMB 0.1 to either the project themed “Revolving Fund on Poverty Alleviation for Mothers” of China Women’s Development Foundation or the project “Nutritional Enhancement Program for Children in China’s Western Region” of China Foundation for Poverty Alleviation. Walmart China joined the hands of both suppliers and customers together to convey love to women and children in need. Walmart China and the three suppliers respectively donated RMB 60,000 to the above two foundations for children’s and women’s better living.
- On July 5, 2011, One year after the earthquake hit Yushu in Qinghai Province, more than RMB760,000 donated by Walmart was used to build "Walmart Love Libraries" in nine schools in the hardest hit areas of Yushu, and equip the libraries with a total of 317 intensive book shelves, which can store 374,600 books, and 208 sets of reading tables and chairs.
- On May 28, 2011, the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) and Walmart China jointly launched a communication event on the occasion of the third anniversary of the announcement of the Decree on the Restriction of Plastic Bags, advocating a low-carbon lifestyle. On June 1, as the sole collaborative enterprise of this event, Walmart held a series of activities entitled “Walmart Plastic-bag Restriction Green Initiative Enters the Communities” simultaneously in twelve cities including Shanghai, Shenzhen, Tianjin, Xiamen, Hangzhou, Nanchang, Guiyang, Kunming, Dalian, Zhengzhou, Chongqing, Changsha. Meanwhile, Walmart China held “Plastic Bag Restriction Green Initiatives in all its stores, advocating a green and low-carbon lifestyle jointly with customers. Since the implementation of this decree on the restriction of the use of plastic bags, Walmart stores across China made tremendous achievement with the reduction on the use of plastic bags by 90%.
- Since entering the spring, vegetable farmers in many area of China, including Henan, Shanxi, Guangdong, Zhejiang, and Liaoning, suffered from unmarketable vegetable. In answering the call of the Ministry of Commerce and local governments, Walmart signed a proposal in Beijing on helping farmers sell unmarketable vegetables through “Direct Farm” activity. The company has been purchasing vegetables and fruits from the suffered farmers and selling them at fair price in its store outlets across China, which help tide the farmers over a period of difficulty while ensuring that customers get safe and affordable produce. As of May 8, Walmart stores had already purchased unmarketable vegetables in the total amount of 480 Tons in over ten provinces and municipalities including Beijing, Hangzhou, Guangzhou and Xiamen, to echo local authorities’ call on purchasing unmarketable vegetables. Walmart also sold these vegetables at reasonable prices in all its stores across China.
- On April 1, 2011, Walmart China launched its nationwide sustainability campaign themed “2011 Walmart Earth Month”, in six Chinese cities, including Beijing, Shenzhen, Shanghai, Xi’an, Wuhan and Xiamen. With the theme “Go green with no plastic bags，the campaign was held in more than 210 Walmart supercenters across China, calling on people from different walks of life to reduce the use of plastic bags, and encourages the use of reusable bags in some pilot cities. We also turned off one third of the lighting in the stores during off-peak hours in continuous response to WWF’s Earth Hour program. The campaign helps our stores and neighboring communities save 500,000 kilowatt-hours of electricity. Around 8.2 million customers in over 110 cities, 100 thousand Walmart associates and their families were actively involved in this campaign.
- March 15, 2010, Walmart announced an initial commitment of $5 million in cash and in-kind donations for emergency relief efforts in response to the tragic earthquake and resulting tsunami in Japan and was also mounting a full scale operation to get additional relief supplies into Japan. The supplies will be sent from China. Walmart China union donated RMB 100,000. Walmart China has also started donation in HO and operation units. The raised fund will be used to help Walmart Japan associates in the affected area.
- October 21, 2010, Walmart and the China Women’s Development Foundation signed an MOU that included a Walmart 1 million RMB as seed funding for the “Walmart Women’s Development Fund.” The fund will finance the “Revolving Fund on Poverty Alleviation Program for Mothers” led by the China Women’s Development Foundation. This project is now in full swing and has benefited about 1,300 villagers including 310 women, each of whom received RMB 3,065 as initial funding to start a variety of plantation and cultivation projects.
- On August 12, on behalf of all Walmart China employees, Walmart China and the trade union of the Walmart China Head Office announced the donation of RMB 150,000, via the China Foundation for Poverty Alleviation, to Zhouqu County, Gannan Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture in Gansu Province, which was hit by a massive flow of mud and rock. This donation assisted the victims in dealing with the disaster and helping themselves.
- Walmart donated over RMB 370,000 to the flooded area since June. Over 600 Walmart China associates have dedicated to these relief activities.
- During May to August 2010, Walmart China launched a campaign named “to be little environmental guardians, and win SH Expo tour” among customers and associate families, to raise customer and associate families’ consciousness about environmental protection. The award ceremony on final 9 winners was held at ZED Pavilion, SH Expo on August 25. All "Little Environmental Guaridians" was invited to present their works and shared their practice on a low-carbon lifestyle and environmental protection.
- In March 2010, Walmart in the U.S. announced an initial donation of $ 1million to the tragic earthquake in Chile. Walmart China and its union, and Walmart’s Global Sourcing team in China donated an additional RMB 400,000 in cash and in-kind support to Chile.
- In April, 2010, Walmart Foundation donated $150,000 to the international NGO, World Vision for Public Welfare Project for earthquake relief in Qinghai. Walmart China and its union, and the Walmart Global Sourcing team in China donated an additional RMB 525,000 in cash and in-kind support to Qinghai Yushu, which was devastated by a massive earthquake. In addition, Walmart China associates made an additional donation of RMB 401, 500. In this way, Walmart China and Walmart's global foundation are joining efforts to support Qinghai relief with a total donation worth RMB 1.95 million.
- In January, 2010, in response to the tragic earthquake in Haiti, Walmart operations around the world and the Walmart Foundation announced a $500,000 monetary donation to the Red Cross emergency relief efforts in Haiti. The company also sent pre-packaged food kits valued at $100,000 to Haiti. Walmart China also donated RMB 200,000 for disaster relief.
- In January, 2010, Walmart China held a nationwide community campaign with the theme of “Caring about Climate Change, Making our Planet Healthier”, attracting more than 60,000 customers from 100 communities to participate.
- In May 2008, Walmart pledged to donate over RMB 20 million to the Sichuan earthquake-stricken areas for buying items in short supply and community reconstruction. The projects included:
- Buying and delivering badly needed supplies to the earthquake-stricken areas immediately after the earthquake, by coordinating efforts with the Red Cross, the local government, relief organizations and civil affairs authorities.
- Donating RMB 5 million to the Sichuan Foundation for Poverty Alleviation for supporting programs to build countryside clinics in the arthquake-stricken area, and donating 20 ambulances worth more than RMB 2.5 million to the Health Department of Sichuan Province
- Committing RMB 6.5 million for the rebuilding of schools damaged in the earthquake through the “ Sustainable School project”. The project is managed by the China-US Center for Sustainable Development. On April 29, 2011, after two years of construction, Walmart announced the completion of the new Jindai Ecological Model Primary School, Liangping County in Chongqing.
- Donating about RMB 1.08 million to the international NGO Right to Play for the pilot program in Hanzhong and Ankang districts of Shaanxi Province to help orphaned and handicapped children.
- Donating RMB 700,000 to support the Big Top project through partnership with Half the Sky Foundation, creating a warm and positive environment for children in the earthquake-stricken area.
- Providing assistance to Beijing Normal University’s volunteer teaching trips in the quake area, establishing a recovery training room for teenagers by cooperating with the China Children and Teenagers’ Foundation, and “Youth Leadership Program among China University Students” developed by the Committee of 100.
Walmart China's Sustainability and CSR Efforts are also widely recognized by society. Some of the most recent awards and honors are listed below:
- Walmart China won “the Most Influential Enterprise” award at the High-forum in Commemoration of the 10th Anniversary of China’s Accession into WTO, hosted by China Business Herald.
- Walmart China was awarded the “Outstanding CSR Company” at the session themed “2011 China CSR High Forum and the launch of Chinese Companies’ CSR Report”, hosted by xinhuanet.com.
- Walmart was awarded the “Most Influential Enterprise in 2011” by Oriental Entrepreneur, Manager, Xinmin Weekly, Financial Circle, and BTV.
- Walmart China was awarded as the 2011 Special Award on Corporate Social Responsibility by China Association of Enterprises with Foreign Investment (CAEFI), China Foundation on Consumer Protection.
- On Oct 27, 2011 Walmart China was nominated as “The Second Session of China’s Green Gold Award – The Outstanding & Sustainable Company in China” by Sohu.com and A.T.Kearney.
- China Foundation for Poverty Alleviation presented Walmart China the award named “Community Service Ambassador of 2011” on October 17, 2011, which was the 19th international Day for the Eradication of Poverty.
- On August 18, Walmart China was named as one of "the top 100 most trustful brands" in food safety and public health by CBN.
- Walmart Beijing Wangjing Store (1016#) was picked by China Chain Store & Franchise Association as one of the first companies for the 100 Model Low-carbon Stores award.
- Jinghua Commonweal Award - 2010 Best Corporate Social Responsibility Contribution Award of China by the Chinese Red Cross Foundation, Jinghua Commonweal Fund, and Beijing Times.
- China Women’s Charity Award by All-China Women's Federation and China Women's Development Foundation.
- Low-Carbon Innovation Company by China Youth Daily and the Economy Journal
- China Green Gold Award by Sohu.com and A.T.Kearney
- The Leading Brand of Low-carbon by People.com.cn.
- 2010 Hurun CSR Top 50
- Top Ten Global Leaders in Green Economy by International Green Economy Association (IGEA)
- The Top Charity Brand that Influences Chinaat the Top Brands Contributors Awarding Ceremony. (General Assembly on China Brands and Communications 2010) hosted by China Media Culture Promotion Association (CMCPA)
- Shenzhen 30-Year Business Achievement Awards - Excellent Retail Company by Southern Metropolis Daily & Shenzhen Retail Business Association
- 2009 Best Corporate Public Image Award-Multinational Corporation by the Best Corporate Public Image Evaluation Committee and sohu.com
- Walmart ranks number one on the 2009 Multinational Company’s Contribution to China List by the China Enterprise Federation, China Enterprise News and China Corporate Social Responsibility Research Center
- Walmart was listed among the China Top 100 Brands and Top 10 Foreign Brands at the P.R. China’s 60th Anniversary by People’s Net of the People’s Daily and the China Newsweek
- Contribution of Fortune Global 500 in China – Top 100 Companies by Southern Weekend, five years in a row
- The 2009 Business Week Greener - China Business Award
- China Green Bench Mark Company 2008 by the China Entrepreneur Club